Thursday, November 18, 2010

Read With Me Wednesday: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Was yesterday Wednesday?  Really?  I totally spaced it!  Partly because of this wonderful book I’m reading.  Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, my wonderfully amazing cousin recommended it to me.  I am loving it, so far so good.  It is a breath of fresh air witty and charming. 

 

image

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
written by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
288 pages

I can’t remember the last time I discovered a novel as smart and delightful as this one, a world so vivid that I kept forgetting this was a work of fiction populated with characters so utterly wonderful that I kept forgetting they weren’t my actual friends and neighbors. Treat yourself to this book please—I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love

 

January 1946: writer Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger, a founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as its name.

Random House Publishing

3 comments:

  1. I keep seeing this and for some reason haven't bought it...perhaps I will tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book and may have to read it again. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked this book. What did you think of Forge? Any other requests that you'd like to read that I might have? We can exchange at the family Christmas party...which I think we are still having??

    ReplyDelete

{Thanks for taking time to stop by!}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...